The documentary film, White Wash (running time: 78 minutes) offers a provocative view of African Americans, aquatics, surfers, and the romanticized beach culture of Southern California. To learn more about the film watch the official trailer, and check out the reviews and press below.
Interview with the film’s director Ted Woods by Leroy Hamilton
View an interview with White Wash’s Woods by videographer Leroy Hamilton at a special documentary screening at the Santa Monica Public Library for a California Coastal Cleanup Day/Coastweeks event here.
Watch the Film
The White Wash documentary film is available for purchase or rental at…
Reviews and Press
- “WHITE WASH”
Film review by La’Tonya Rease Miles
The Public Historian, Vol. 34, No. 2 (Spring 2012): 133–153.
- The Madeleine Brand Show • KPCC 90.3 FM
July 6, 2012
Interview with historian Alison Rose Jefferson.
- FilmWeek with Larry Mantle • KPCC 90.3 FM
July 6, 2012
Review of White Wash with trailer on website. Guests included Andy Klein, film critic for KPCC, Glendale News-Press, and the L.A. Times Community Papers chain; and Wade Major, film critic for KPCC and boxoffice.com
- SoCal Focus Commentary by Erin Aubry Kaplan • KCET.org
July 5, 2012
“Riding the Waves to Freedom: SoCal Blacks and the Surfing Culture” is the title of Los Angeles-based, journalist and op-ed columnist Erin Kaplan’s review and contextualization of White Wash in “the past, present and continuing manipulation of the ‘American narrative’ and the omnipresent tentacles of racism.”
- Sojourner Truth with Margaret Prescod • Pacifica Radio KPFK 90.7 FM
July 5, 2012, 7:00–8:00 A.M.
Public Screenings of White Wash
- 2015 Summer Regional Workshop, Organization of American Historians, Theme: Diversity in the American West, Glendale City College, California
- Jackie Robinson Arts & Humanities Lecture Series 2013–2014, Pasadena City College, California
- Organization of American Historians 2014 Conference, Atlanta, Georgia
- Colloquium for African American Research (CAAR) 2013 Conference, Atlanta, Georgia
- Texas A & M University
- California Coastal Cleanup/Coastweeks Program, Santa Monica Public Library
- Galerie Lakaye
- California African American Museum
- University of Southern California
- Pomona College
- University of California, Santa Barbara
- Pan African Film Festival
- San Diego Black Film Festival
- 2012 Prize for “Best Diaspora Feature” Nominee at the African Movie Academy Awards, Lagos, Nigeria